Swan Song
For those who aren't familiar with the term "swan song", it is actually an idiom referring to a final theatrical or dramatic appearance, or any final work or accomplishment. [please see for reference: http://en. wikipedia.org/wiki/Swan-song] It generally carries the connotation that the performer is aware of his or her imminent demise [or in this case, retirement] and is expending his or her last breath on one magnificent final effort. [Ibid] The term originated from a reference to an ancient belief that the mute swan is completely mute during its lifespan, but may sing one heartbreakingly beautiful song just before it dies. [Ibid]
First thing's first--no one is going to die. In fact, the story behind this post revolves around the preparations for my upcoming birthday, where I would have reached a significant age in my life. In the months leading to my birthday, I have been ruminating on many things past--my accomplishments, my failures, my relationship with people around me, and things I still want to accomplish in the years ahead of me. During these times, I have resolved to retire from doing several things which I consider juvenile and unsavory to the tastes of persons within my soon-to-be age bracket. Nevertheless, despite the deep self-reflection, one particular pernicious habit of mine kept cropping up, to my dismay [yeah right]. This notwithstanding, I realized that some of the best memories I had with my closest friends happened during these times.
I would have left it at that, and would have closed that chapter of my life forever, if it weren't for my good friend Doc Dasma, who broached the idea that we should all get together and relive those days one last time. I was pleasantly surprised, to say the least, considering that it is outside Doc Dasma's character to actually bring up the topic and actually make an [implied] invitation. Also, I have been wanting to hang out with my friends for some time now. You see, now that we've all been working, it's been difficult to find time to get together and hang out. So to make the long story short, I found no difficulty in agreeing with Doc Dasma's suggestion.
Barring a couple of logistical setbacks [such as the loss of point persons], we pushed through as planned. Allow me to state some observations at this point. Firstly, I wouldn't consider the event we had as one of the best in terms of attendance [I would have wanted to see the rest of the Magnificent 7], although it made me bond with some people whom I don't get to see or bond with that often, which was a huge plus considering the circumstances. Secondly, the booze wasn't that strong either. It gave us the right/steady buzz, without giving us any hangover the following day. Doc Dasma says further that it doesn't matter whether or not the buzz was great. What is essential is the company we were with during that get-together. On this point, I agree with Doc Dasma in principle, but I have a few reservations, which should comprise another blog entry altogether.
In the course of our little get-together, however, I discovered that aging makes one realize the value of the friends that one has. As one gets older, one usually longs for the friends and the memories that they once shared doing stuff together, stuff which may seem junevile at present, but would have made and established deep roots and lifelong bonds among friends. Having learned this now, I now know that I should never have underestimated any form of common bonding interests or activities among friends--whether it be good, bad, healthy or unhealthy. In the course of time, people tend to outgrow the bad and unhealthy habits, but the memories of the fun and pleasure derived from those moments will linger on indefinitely.
Although interests tend to change as one gets older [i.e., priorities such as family, career and self take precedence in time over bonding with friends], it is simply reassuring to know that friends who have once upon a time shared, spent time and enjoyed the same things with you, will always be there, even when they seem distant, or if their interests seem out of sync with oneself. So while the swan song I was dreaming about never really was the final magnificent effort that I had hoped it to be, I know that I shouldn't have been hoping for a swan song of sorts in the first place. After all, no one's going anywhere.
Labels: Random Thoughts and Realizations

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home